Combined Community Services 2022 Turkey Lurkey is a 5k Walk/Run. This is a race through the Winona Lake Trails and is open to racers, runners and walkers. The event appeals to both the serious runner/walker (timed by Kosciusko Runners Association) and those who participate for fun (opportunity to combine running/walking). All net funds will go to support Combined Community Services’ operations and programs. Day of race registration at Winona Lake Community Center will be available from 8:00am to 9:45am on Saturday, November 19th.
Participants registering on or prior to October 29th will be guaranteed a shirt in their size. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place (female and male) will be awarded in each of the following age brackets: 9 and under (only children participating who want to be timed need to register); 10-14; 15-19; 20-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70+.
Start Time: 10:00am EDT
End Time: 12:00pm EDT
Price: $25.00 Race Fee + $2.16 Sign Up Fee
Registration: Price increases to $30.00 after October 5, 2022 at 11:59pm EDT
Combined Community Services (CCS) provides comfort, hope, and resources to neighbors in need in Kosciusko County. While there is an entry fee for this event it does not cover all costs incurred including promotion, rental equipment, and KRA assistance. This is a fundraising event for CCS, and as a sponsor, your contribution will help offset these expenses so we can give as much as possible back to CCS operations and programs. Please consider donating at one of the levels listed, and help us celebrate a generous community!
There are sponsorship opportunities beyond monetary and include donations of gift certificates, food, beverages, discounts and supplies.
All of the Stuffed Turkey plus:
All of the fried turkey plus:
All of the Fixen’s plus:
INTERESTED IN SPONSORING
SWAG BAG ASSEMBLY (volunteers needed 6) Volunteers needed to work November 16th to help put together swag bags at the Combined Community Services Building. Time TBD. Duties will include an assembly line of placing marketing swag into bags for each runner that signs up to run.
PACKET PICKUP: (volunteers needed 4) Volunteers needed to work November 18th for early packet pick-up at Combined Community Services Building. 2hr shifts from: 11:00am to 5:00pm Duties include organizing/handing out shirts, preparing goodie bags, assigning runners their bib number, greeting participants with smiles and providing race information. Position might require some light lifting up to 30 lbs.
REGISTRATION TABLE: (volunteers needed 6) Be behind the scenes and the first to see how the race weekend begins! This is the first stop for runners and walkers as they pick up their race packet. Duties include organizing/handing out shirts, preparing goodie bags, assigning runners/walkers their bib number, greeting participants with smiles and event guides, answering questions/providing race information. Position may require some light lifting up to 30 lbs.
START AND FINISH LINE: (volunteers needed 2) Start Line: Move runners/walkers to the start line. Help keep strollers and wheelchairs at the rear of the pack and encourage runners going across the start line.
FINISH LINE: The runners are happy to be done. Hand weary runner’s cold bottles of water. Some are waiting for their friends/family to cross. keeping runners moving efficiently through the finish line, directing runners to the post-race area where they can wait for loved ones, get their Finishers picture taken, and retrieve their Medals. Duties also include opening cases and restocking bottled water.
COURSE VOLUNTEERS: (volunteers needed 8) Direct runners and walkers keeping them on course. WE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO — WE GOT SPIRIT HOW ‘BOUT YOU! You don’t have to wear a mini skirt or bright colored hair bow to cheer, but you could dress in your best Turkey costume! Be a key player in keeping the excitement and momentum going on course. Handing out water needed by the walkers/runners. Make banners and posters with silly sayings (not required). Duties include acting crazy, screaming, cheering, laughing — anything to bring out a smile on our runners faces! Standing for long periods of time is required — jumping with excitement is encouraged.
FOOD AND DRINK TABLE: (volunteers needed 4) This key role is not just about providing hydration support — Duties include filling and stacking cups with water, restocking cups throughout the course of the morning, handing water to runners as needed, and finally cleaning up the area (cups) when the races is complete. Excitement and standing for long periods is required for this role.
SET UP AND CLEAN UP: (volunteers needed 20) When it is all said and done, and we have to say good-bye to our great event until next year, we need volunteers to help tear down the registration area. Duties include taking down signs, cleaning trash from the surrounding area. Standing, bending, lifting 25lbs, getting dirty are all required.
As a volunteer, you are an Ambassador for Combined Community Services and should treat runners, guests, participants, and other volunteers with the utmost courtesy and respect.
● As a volunteer, take pride in your role! Attire should include jeans/shorts/workout attire and comfortable shoes.
● Be prepared to answer many types of questions. Familiarize yourself with the course map and schedule of events.
● You can sign up for as many shifts and roles as you like — but please make sure they don’t overlap!
● Once you sign up, we depend on your commitment to being a part of Run, Walk CCS. Your prompt arrival and completion of your shift are vital to the success. When you sign up, you commit to being present for that specific shift(s) during the entire length of that shift(s).
● Until 2 days prior to your scheduled shift, you are able to change/cancel your day/assignment by using your volunteerhub account login.
● If it is the day of your scheduled shift and you find you cannot make it, please be considerate and contact Sarah Frame so we can adjust our roster.
● We are like the postal service — our event will take place regardless of the weather. Please check the weather and dress accordingly. If for any reason we do have to cancel you will be notified via email.
● You may not consume any alcoholic beverages or smoke during your volunteer shift.
● Your assignment is complete when a staff member releases you. If you have not been released at the end of your shift, please contact a lead volunteer or staff member.
● Children under the age of 14 may not participate as a solo volunteer. Children between the ages of 10-14 must be accompanied by an adult.
● Pets are not allowed with you during your volunteer shift.
● Depending on race needs, volunteer assignments may be reallocated — please be flexible.
● Combined Community Services is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.