Unfortunately, no matter how much we plan and prepare, emergencies will always catch us by surprise. That’s where we hope to step in. We exist to help those in our community with emergency needs for food, clothing, utilities, and so much more. Learn more about our emergency services below.
Dane’s Family Pantry
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00 am-Noon
Friday: 9:00 am-1:00 pm
Our food pantry has more than just food and USDA Commodities. When donations allow, CCS is able to offer other items such as paper products, hygiene products, and cleaning supplies!
Your food donations help us feed an ever increasing number of families. In 2015, an average of 545 households received food from the pantry each month. Visits to the food pantry are generally limited to one time per month.
Monetary donations are also accepted. Your monetary donation allows us to purchase food at local groceries and from the Northern Indiana Food Bank. Donations for food can also be made in our name at the Food Bank in South Bend, Indiana. Your designated donation to the food bank will be put into our account. The Food Bank of Northern Indiana also delivers USDA Commodities to our Emergency Food Pantry.
Our generous community allows us to provide free clothing to anyone in Kosciusko County through our Emergency Clothing Pantry. Clients are welcome to come and “shop” once every two weeks or twice per month. Clothing is provided by individual donations dropped off either at the office during business hours or at our loading dock
We provide additional “seasonal events” to serve our county:
- Tools for School is held each August and offers school supplies, book bags, and haircuts.
- Adopt-A-Family and Toy Giveaway provide Christmas aid.
- Glass Slipper Prom Drive supplies donated prom dresses, hair styling, prom meals and accessories and limited tux rentals to Kosciusko students.
- Our annual Coat Drive takes place in October. Lake City Radio and Valerie Wagner organize and collect coats, Wildman Uniform and Peerless Cleaners dry clean them, and we hang them out so anyone can stop by and pick one! In 2011, the Coat Drive distributed over 1,900 coats to Kosciusko County residents.
- Our annual Food-A-Thon is held the first Friday and Saturday of November at Martin’s Supermarket in Warsaw. This is our largest fundraiser, and allows us to raise awareness for the issue of hunger in Kosciusko county and raises funds to purchase food and donations that completely stock our food pantry for several months!
CCS utilizes funding from the United Way of Kosciusko County, individual donations, and funds from REMC and NIPSCO to provide utility assistance to low-income households, or households experiencing a temporary hardship, to prevent disconnection.
Financial assistance is offered to those in greatest immediate crisis. In most situations, a disconnect notice or warning is required before assistance can be provided. Funds should be requested 24 hours or more prior to the disconnect date listed on the disconnect notice. LP guidelines require the LP tank be at or below 10%.
Our guidelines for financial assistance are up to 200% of Poverty Guidelines or Hardship Determination, which covers a vast array of crisis situations, from loss of job to an automobile accident that renders people unable to make their usual payments.
Utility assistance is available for NIPSCO, REMC, and LP Fuel.
Do you have a legal problem and don’t know where to turn?
Members of the Kosciusko County Bar Association offer pro bono (free) consultations every second and fourth Thursday of the month. The participating attorneys offer information and referrals to assist you if you are in need.
Please call 574-269-6019 ext. 250 and speak with our receptionist to schedule an appointment.
Please make sure that you bring any relevant documents or paperwork with you to your scheduled appointment. This will make it much easier for the generous volunteers to assist you with your needs.
K.A.B.S. (Kosciusko Area Busing System) provides transportation for Medicaid recipients to doctor, dental or physical therapy appointments. Call K.A.B.S at 267-4990 for more information or visit their website.